Wednesday, September 23, 2009

ClaireLee A.D. (After Dislocation) Placed LETTER OF MERIT

I'm pleased to announce that my upper middle grade novel, ClaireLee A.D. (After Dislocation) placed Letter of Merit in the Society of Children's Book Writers & Illustrators Work-in-Progress Grant.

Here is the letter I received from SCBWI.

Dear Jean

Though you were not a recipient of one of this year's Work-in-Progress Grants we are pleased to be able to present you with this LETTER OF MERIT as one of the finalists in the 2009 competition. Your work was one of just thirteen entries out of the more than four hundred received to gain Letter of Merit honors.

Congratulations and best wishes for the eventual publication of your book.


What is nice is this same concept of a story, before it was edited by a freelancer, placed Letter of Merit five years ago. This story idea still has a chance. And now, I'll make a copy of this letter and send it along with my partial to the publisher that is waiting for my completed changes of ClaireLee A.D.

Following, is a list of the winners and runners-up:

Nearly 400 entries were received from this year's Work-In-Progress Grants.

Previously unpublished is winner Tracy Clark, of Gardnerville, Nevada. Runner-up went to Jeff Hirsch of Astoria, New York.

General Work-in-Progress Grant winner was Brad Strickland of Oakwood, Georgia. Runner-up grant goes to Rebecca Hogue Wojahn of Eau Claire, Wisconsin.

The SCBWI Anna Cross Giblin Nonfiction Research Grant, funded by James Cross Giblin is awarded this year to Laura Anne Woollett of Waltham, Massachusetts. Runner-up grant has been presented to Betsy Rosenthal of Pacific Palisades, California.

The 2009 SCBWI Contemporary Novel Grant goes to Angelina Corallo Hansen of Maple Falls, Washington. Tina Tocco of Pleasantville, New York is recipient of the Runner-up grant.

On their Website, SCBWI posted this news under What's New?, so take a look at their winning titles. You'll also find the names of those who placed Letter of Merit. I am in good company. Cynthia Bates and Charlie Perryess also placed Letter of Merit. The fun part is we were in the same writers group several years back, and before I moved to Oregon.

I say good writers groups can and do work.

My present Internet writing group has also helped to stretch me to dig deeper to what I mean to say. And they won't let me give up on ClaireLee A.D. (After Dislocation). Thank you writing buddies! I love you bunches!

Until next time . . .


5 comments:

  1. Congratulations again, Jean Ann! This is s definite sign to keep at this story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Terry, for stopping by and the kind words.

    Yes, I think my story is worth the work and continued work yet to do.

    Jean Ann

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Roy and Sherrie!

    Now, it's more work on ClaireLee A.D. (After Dislocation). It's tough competition out there, so no rest for the weary.

    Jean Ann

    ReplyDelete