Tuesday, January 20, 2009

SCBWI’s 2009 Oregon Spring Conference

The Society of Children's Writer's & Illustrators' sponsors the best workshops and conferences in the nation. I helped establish our SLO (San Luis Obispo) workshops when I lived in California, and I can vouch for the wonderful speakers that have helped teach us our craft. A newbie in the writing realm, the lessons I learned facilitating the workshops were priceless to my career. Another big conference is coming up, and I'm already planning the comfortable clothing to pack.

The SCBWI Oregon Spring Conference for writers and illustrators is scheduled for May 15 & 16 and will be held in Portland at Shilo Inn Suites Hotel. The brochure and application for this year's will be posted in March at SCBWIOR.com. Until then, you can read about 2008’s to give you an idea what to expect.

After you read last year's conference, you may decide to take advantage of an editorial critique. Be sure to have your pages ready and in the envelope ready to hand deliver to the post office before the brochure is available. This way, you have a chance to get an editorial reading, because the editors take only 12 manuscripts to read and critique. I'm already working on my pages. When I sit before the editor, I am allowed 15 minutes of her time. The expert will tell me how I can improve my pages and possibly give advice as to which publisher may be interested in my story.

Although I’ve been to many workshops and a few conferences, this will be my first conference in my home state. And since I’ve been to Portland once in twenty-five years, I’m excited to visit this beautiful city, again.



No comments:

Post a Comment