Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Of Homeschooling and Summer Reading of "Uncle Tom's Cabin"


Whew! That was a long, but rewarding month of homeschooling my granddaughter, Carley. She finished up a bit later than public school, and she did it with high marks. She even whipped pre-algebra (she claims her most difficult subject, but this ol' nana knows better) and got an A in that. She worked hard, and I am proud of her.

Since Carley has left, I needed to unwind. I dove into my summer reading. Why is it that summer reading means classic books to me, I don't know, but I am swept up in the world of "Uncle Tom's Cabin."

I think I may have started "Uncle Tom's Cabin" years ago, but did not finish it for lack of time. This go around, I'm reading this book through. I love Harriet Beecher Stowe's style very much and truly wish second person would come back into popularity. It feels like a diary to me, and I do enjoy the diary.

I really love that she has an unashamed Christian message about Jesus Christ. How refreshing! I do adore Uncle Tom and could only hope I gain the faith like this man before I leave this earth.

I applaud Harriet and hope every child and adult will take the time to read an amazing exposure of cruelty sprinkled with the forgiveness and love of our Lord and Saviour.

For web information on Harriet, visit here. I love her quote: "There is more done with pens than swords." So true.

Did you know that Harriet belonged to the Semi-Colon Club? Visiting the club inspired her to write.

Now if only I could stop reading long enough to catch up on my e-mails.

Until next time . . .



No comments:

Post a Comment