Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Jan/Feb 2010 SCBWI Bulletin and "Page One: Your Contract with Readers"



This is my second article about the Jan/Feb Society of Children's Book Writers & Illustrators Bulletin.

"Page One:Your Contract with Readers" by Karen Schwabach was another wonderful "Ah ha!" moment for me. For a tidbit of what Karen is suggesting, she says, ". . . I usually write my first page last."

Now that really made me sit up and take notice. Is this why I've changed my first page so many times I've lost count. I keep going back to it like my MC, ClaireLee, wants to tell me something.

It just so happens that I revamped page one, once again. I like it better all the time, but I can't be sure it will be my last changes. Probably not.

Following are the first two sentences of my recent changes in ClaireLee A.D. (After Disaster): ClaireLee's eyes wavered from the line of students, followed shiny buttons up a wool pea jacket, and settled on the scarred face. The raised, red gash running through the girl's right eye fascinated ClaireLee, pushing her good manners out of the nest.

I hope I've set up a hook here, and that the promise of a contract for the reader will be fulfilled within the next beginning sentences of my page one.

In Karen's article "Page One," she goes on to give a small check list of choices to consider putting on your first page. Thank you for writing this, Karen.

As I said in the last post, the Feb/Jan SCBWI Bulletin is packed full of great information. Go to their Web site and join to become a part of a community of kind and helpful children's writers and illustrators.

Until next time . . .



No comments:

Post a Comment