Thursday, September 18, 2008

Just Like the Seasons

As Autumn falls upon us and the earth goes through transformation of colors, so it is with writing. Writing like nature has its seasons. Each stage of each writing project must take time to simmer and to change. Even our writing life goes through changes, caused by forces out of our control.

That force can be as complicated as the death of a loved one, or just plain writer burnout. If it is burnout, maybe we need to take time to live life and gather fodder for our writing. What a perfect opportunity to reevaluate what it is we need to share with the world. If it is a death, that can take time.

Death has taken the sails right out of my creative process. I've been left floundering like a turtle on its back. Earlier this year, when my baby brother died a brave soldier, I would sit for hours and look at my oak trees. I even brushed the neighbor's donkey and pretended he understood my words. And I prayed for sorrow to take a back seat, if but a few hours each day, so I could write.

Finally, I sensed the Lord say to me, "Write where you are." Okay.

I wrote what my brother meant to me, and my creative juices rolled once again. That whole process took two months, maybe for others it will be less. A dry writing season is as unique as the seasons of the earth.

Until next time . . .



No comments:

Post a Comment